Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A crash can happen to anyone! Legends too....






One of the joys of cycling is the feeling of freedom and almost flying on wheels. Perhaps that is why I love cycling so much. The independence, the wind in your face, the satisfaction of conquering steep hills etc and the last thing we have in mind is crashing.

But that happens to every cyclist from time to time, and often when we least expect it. I have a lot of respect for my cycling buddy Chris whom I've know for over 20 years as he is liken by many as The Father of Touring especially in Thailand, Bali and Indonesia. He is also a bike mechanic (engineer is more appropriate) second to none and has put together very kindly many of my bicycles. After his touch, my bikes become Lexus smooth.

                                 
Highway 2 outskirts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia

It was thus a big shock when I got a call from his wife one weekday afternoon to say that Chris was at the A & E of Tan Tock Seng Hospital. He had a crash! I immediately dropped everything and went to see him.

Poor Chris was very badly injured with head and facial injuries. His cable lock had somehow got loose and managed to get entangled with his front wheel causing an instantaneous jam that even bent the fork of his Bike Friday Tikit!

I thank the good Lord for sending the right people to help Chris recover and at the most opportune moments that only God can orchestrate. In times like this, we realise how fragile our lives are and we should be grateful for each day that is given to us.

       
                                   
Route 13 near Vang Vieng, Laos

It has been 3 weeks and Chris is making a strong and remarkable recovery. He has even started cycling again and I am grateful to God for His amazing healing upon this dear brother. May he continue to recover fully and quickly with God's help.

So do enjoy cycling, but at the same time, please ride safely.

More here on his excellent blog - Chriscycles.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I shared this beautiful promise in the Bible about God's protection as we put our trust in Him to Chris. I hope you will find comfort and assurance that our Creator loves us deeply and is with us all the way.


Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed. I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

No comments: