Friday, May 11, 2012

Happy Mother's Day



My mother, on extreme left.


This weekend is Mother's Day and its a good time to reflect and honour our moms and tell them how much they mean to us.

One of the bicycle stories my mom told me was as a young girl, how much she enjoyed cycling her bicycle off the ledge literally into the sea. They were then staying in a house just by the sea at Pasir Panjang, Singapore in the 1930s and she and her siblings would do that when the tide was high. I can imagine how fun that must be but can't help and wonder how long the poor bicycle lasted marinated well and truly by the corrosive sea water.

Mom later became a teacher at ACS Singapore and it was her first and only job, staying on to teach primary school kids for over 40 years! She did so because she loved kids and wanted to have time for us as in those days, school was only half day.

Which brings to mind what is the best bicycle for Moms? I came across this bicycle cum stroller call the Taga Bike Stroller. It looks like a brilliant way to ferry the kids around safely.


In Japan, the moms carry their kids on standard Mamachari bicycles fitted with child seats, sometimes in the front and rear. The extra weight of the kids will definitely provide an excellent work out! Of course, if that gets too tough, fitting an e-motor like this lady below will make for an easy ride.


To my dearest and precious mom, thank you for giving me life, for the sacrifices you made, not just for me but for my family and for spoiling my taste buds with the highest standards of Peranakan cuisines par excellent each day. Most of all, I'm grateful to my parents for teaching me how much God loves all of us dearly for all eternity.


May I wish all the moms out there, the young and young at heart, God's blessings for a very happy and loving Mother's Day with your family.


Deuteronomy 5:16 ESV “‘Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.



No comments: