Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rainbows and Hopes







The sky turned darkish as we began our usual ride this week to Pt Walter. It was Rod and I only this time as the others couldn't make it. If there was anyone who is truly 110% committed to ride in any weather, Rod takes the cake here. I supposed his background as a bicycle Postman first in England, and later in Australia for over 35 years has something to do with that.


One great blessing we usually encounter through the threatening weather is the occasional appearance of beautiful multi-coloured rainbow. But today was special as two appeared before us as we rode along the Canning River at Applecross. One was distinct and the other one faint which I barely captured on my camera.


Rod and I were just taking it easy and enjoying catching up with one another. He is a very special friend with a great heart for people and we talked about many things in life. At 66 years old, his fitness is unbelievable and he cycles 3 times a week lately, each about 50km. Obviously, his 8 year old Giant Hybrid is well worn and we talked about how short life is, and inevitably the need to get a new bike cropped up as replacing the parts of the Giant will cost about $350!


At Point Walter, I stopped to admire some canoes that were going out for a morning paddle. They were canoe buddies who come together regularly to different parts of Perth to just enjoy gliding on the waters.



What struck me was that these folks were all seniors and Daryl, the nice gentleman I spoke to also loved cycling. He was impressed with the Speed Pro and asked the usual questions about foldies. After all these years with foldies, I still enjoy the curiousity that they draw.



On our way back, we decided to stop at a riverside cafe at Mt Pleasant to enjoy a Latte and a Cappuccino. There was a very interesting mural on the wall about opinion and truth that caught my eye.



Sitting under the umbrella on nice table and chairs, admiring speed boats as they tow their skiers behind, while enjoying our coffees and a chat made for a very special morning. I turn 50 this year and Rod discussed the possibility of a ride down south from Albany to Walpole to celebrate it. That got me all excited.

If rainbows represent our dreams and hopes, then I can't think of a better way of crossing the half century mark on small wheels with my good mates later this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. Genesis 9:12-13


For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: