Thursday, June 10, 2010

Seeking Wisdom






Its always great to have good friends visit. My young friend Henry and his mom came through to Perth recently and he wanted to check out UWA. I took the opportunity to stroll down memory lane with my Brompton and recalled the times I enjoyed as a Grad Student 12 years ago.


Its arguably one of the most beautiful campus in Australia and its easy to see why. Lots of green lawns, sandstone historical buildings, spacious grounds and situated just by the pristine Swan River.


I also spotted 2 foldies at the bike rack. One Giant Halfway and another brand unknown to me, Ezy Ride. It was exciting to see those foldies!


UWA's motto "Seek Wisdom" is very noble. King Solomon, from the Old Testament, could ask for anything when he acceeded the throne from his father King David and guess what he asked for?


Please make me wise and teach me the difference between right and wrong. Then I will know how to rule your people. If you don't, there is no way I could rule this great nation of yours. God said: "Solomon, I'm pleased that you asked for this. You could have asked to live a long time or to be rich. Or you could have asked for your enemies to be destroyed. Instead, you asked for wisdom to make right decisions. So I'll make you wiser than anyone who has ever lived or ever will live." 1Kings 3 v 9-12

Perhaps it is prudent for all of us to take a leaf from King Solomon and continue our journey in seeking wisdom wherever we are. I wish you "wisdom" from above Henry, as you begin a new phase of your life.

1 comment:

Henry said...

Thank you for the beautiful blog post, for your generous hospitality (warm beds, delicious meals, showing us around Perth but most of all warm hearts, a listening ear and being a wellspring of good advice).

I just read about the Shunammite woman who had a ministry of hospitality in 2 Kings 4:8-17.

Now there came a day when Elisha passed over to Shunem, where there was a prominent woman, and she persuaded him to eat food. And so it was, as often as he passed by, he turned in there to eat food. 9 And she said to her husband, “Behold now, I perceive that this is a holy man of God passing by us continually. 10 Please, let us make a little walled upper chamber and let us set a bed for him there, and a table and a chair and a lampstand; and it shall be, when he comes to us, that he can turn in there.”

You too persuaded us to eat food and you also prepared a guest room for us with kindness and love. So once again thank you and I give thanks to God for the work that you do and all of you are in my prayers.

Keep up the good work!

Henry

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" - 1 Corinthians 10:31