Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A winter's day





A winter's day are the first words of Simon and Garfunkel's song, "I am a rock". The lyrics border on loneliness, depression and being hurt, so much so that its best to seek solitude by building walls and withdrawing from people.

One verse particularly is very sad...

I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.

My first ride this second day of winter was very much the direct opposite of Garfunkel's song. Instead of a deep dark December, it was a bright sunny winter's day in June with a crisp 5.5c morning.

The burst of first light, casting long shadows made for a photographer's dream. Though it was cold, it warmed up quickly partly due to working out on a bicycle. I was trying to catch up with my buddies Rod and Ken as I thought I was late. Turned out they were later so I had some time to take advantage of the morning light with my trusty Canon as I awaited them at Canning Bridge. There was so much to capture and I was thrilled when a Pelican came gliding past me ever so graciously.
.
I have been lazy and not joined them for a while. Hence, I have forgotten their warm smiles, hearty laughter and friendly faces so it was really great to be with my mates again. We did our normal 32km ride to Point Walter and somehow, the ride seemed too short with good friends. As usual, surprises came our way.

I bet this pose inspired Batman, don't you think?

I saw a really antique Brompton ridden by a British lady on her morning ride. The red curve of the frame is instantly recognisable. She had brought it all the way from the UK and it was really nice to enjoy a short chat with another foldie rider.
.

It was also encouraging to meet a 3 wheeler bike on the path. The elderly gentleman seemed to be having fun and it inspired me that the joy of cycling can still be discovered in our later years.


What a perfect morning it was! If only Simon and Garfunkel took up cycling, he may have written the song, "A Winter's Day" a little bit different.














Wise words from Ecclesiastes 4 v 9-10
.
It's better to have a partner than go it alone. Share the work, share the wealth, (share the journey for us bikers). And if one falls down, the other helps, but if there's no one to help, tough!

1 comment:

Shamiko Design said...

Al... you are always the happy "bubble" that lights the life of others through your thought and works. Thank you for that post.
Shamiko