Friday, November 16, 2012

Crossing over Transitions well




The only thing constant in life is change” 
The wise words of a French writer, François de la Rochefoucauld...


As the year comes quickly to an end, with just 45 days left as I write this, my thoughts go to the coming new year of 2013. What changes can we expect? For some of us, its largely status quo but I know for most of us, we will face big changes.

My son Jem has finally completed high school and will begin university. How quickly our little babies grow up to be active kids, then rebellious teens and hopefully to sensible young adults! My new friend Pete has 2 shifts left before he officially retires after 40 years in the same organisation, ready to begin the new phase of life with a brand new hobby of cycle touring on a brand new Tern P24. As for me, I will be taking on a new work assignment which requires me to spend more time in Singapore and less time in beautiful Perth. Thankfully though, I will still be here for at least 4 months of next year.

I will certainly miss the glorious Australian weather, the fresh foods, the open spaces, my little home, the Golf, my Wednesday cycling rides and of course all the priceless friends that I have been blessed with. They have added so much to my life and enriched me deeply. Transitions are tough, at least for me, and I don't think I'm alone here.

How then can we handle transitions in life well? I am not an expert on such issues but may I suggest 4 principles that will help us crossover into the new phase a little better.

1. Accept that change is needed for new things to happen in our growth journey.
2. Say goodbyes properly and mark the occasion fittingly.
3. Acknowledge that its ok to grief and even mourn for the lost of this stage of our life.  
4. Recognise that God is firmly in charge of the next chapter.

2013 will be filled with new experiences and lessons that will come our way, and I look forward to them with great anticipation and boldness. I am sure it will be for you too! Although I will sadly spend less time with the wonderful people here in Perth, I am excited at spending time with family, renewing ties with old friends in Singapore and meeting new folks, especially at the many bike rides and eating sessions with the Love Cycling Spore Gang and other friends. There are great new tours that await too.

One thing that will not change though is my passion for cycling and foldies, and I hope this will stay status quo for a very long time, Deo Velonte!



Jeremiah 29:11

 "For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. 

“They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”



No comments: